Dear Subbuteo fans, dear players and club organizers,
This is the end of the WASPA season and I'm pleased to send you the final WASPA tables for the period 2020-2021.
|Perth Subbuteo players from Australia won the Top Clubs section this season|
Here are some highlights of the last 12 months:
- we finish the season with 967 ranked players. After such a long covid break, we can be very happy about this number.
- 443 players attended at least one tournament in the last 12 months. 30 players attended their very first WASPA tournament in August.
- Alan Lee is not only the season champion but also the number 1 player in the Open ranking. With both Alan Lee and Brian Daley, England is the solid leader in the ranking of nations.
- It was a complicated year to recruit new players and in particular young players. The number of juniors is down to 67 and we must congratulate Ruby Matthews from Wales for being the world number 1. Evangelos Kotrotsos is very close but Ruby made some spectacular performances in August.
- Australians dominate the ranking of clubs. Perth (1) and Brisbane (2) while London Road (3) and the Flaming Flickers (4) remain the best clubs in Europe.
- 5 of the 27 "top clubs" didn't score points this season and will be relegated to the Development League next season.
- In the Development League, congratulations to our friends from South Africa as Johannesburg TFC is the season winner. Alon with runner-ups of Lions Zante (Greece) and Surrey Saracens SC (England), they are promoted in the Top Clubs section for next season.
- Some clubs in the Development League didn't score points but also some clubs have made a solid debut and will be allowed to join the Development League next season.
- Big sadness for the ranking of clubs for juniors as only 8 clubs in the world (and 4 from outside Europe) managed to have 3 juniors (players born in 2004 or later) in the final ranking. From September juniors will be players born in 2005 or later. The big conclusion of this is that the world is not ready to have a strong organisation for juniors. 2 years ago FISTF launched the "European Cup for junior cups" but how can we have an elite of juniors if we are not able to have a stronger base? I really believe a club could only be allowed to attend such a European tournament if they prove they can be present in the WASPA ranking of junior clubs! Thanks to the 8 clubs who did the necessary work to have players involved and congratulations again to London Road Subbuteo Club (Wales) for being a solid winner!
As for August, we had a total of 24 tournaments (21 regional, 2 old rules, 1 promotional event for juniors) in England, Northern Ireland, Belgium, the USA, Greece, Italy, Singapore and Wales, which is rather positive.
We had a total of 200 tournaments in 17 different countries but also a lot of test-matches.
|Group picture of a great tournament in Derry, Northern Ireland|
Finally, I would like to say that all ideas to improve the WASPA circuit are welcome. We are open to discussion as long as people come with proposals to have more involved players, more involved clubs, more nations,... If you have different format of competitions that could be included, the ideas are welcome!
We also take to opportunity to thank our partners:
- Victory kits at https://www.victorykits.co.uk/
- Flicks for Kicks at http://shop.flickforkicks.com/
- MAD ABOUT GAMES at http://subbuteo2012.co.uk
|Players at the Swiss Cup|
Well, that's all for now. Please remember you only need 3 players to register your tournament. Don't be scared to join. It's free and tournament requests can be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep an eye on the WASPA blog at http://waspa-circuit.blogspot.com as there are updates almost every day.
Please invite your friends to join our Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/waspasubbuteo/
We also have a WASPA page here: https://www.facebook.com/WASPA-World-Amateur-Subbuteo-Players-Association-231789816834700/
Keep in mind WASPA is also looking for new partners. If you know any company ready to support us (we don’t ask for money but we want some win-win agreements so that we can promote each other), don't hesitate to contact me at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Have a great new Subuteo season.
Vincent Coppenolle, WASPA organizer