Wednesday 19 March 2014

Interview of Daniel Scheen

In our next interview, Panos Panagiotides has talked to Daniel Scheen, the world number 1 in the FISTF veterans ranking.

When did you first started to play Subbuteo and what was the first team you got bought? 
I started in 1983, I played till 1990 but from 88 to 90 I didn't attend any more tournaments but I only played in my club (SC Verviers in this time). I don’t remember my first team but I had a complete box with pitch, plastic goals, one blue team and one red team. I have completely stopped for 20 years and start again in 2010.

How many years have you been playing and what are the main titles you have achieved in any level?
From 83 to 90 and from 2010 till today, I have won some international tourneys when I was 15 years old. I restarted and won (in vets category ) some national events, challengers or satellites (Eugies, Templeuve, Frameries and Verviers). I was later the winner at the GP of Belgium 2011, GP Spain 2012, Bronze medal at the world cup Manchester 2012, winner GP of Wales 2012, GP of Germany 2013, International Open Puylaurens 2013, International Open Leicester, International Open Glasgow, world ranking number 1 veteranss category since May 2013. I was finalist at the world cup 2013 in Madrid with the Belgian team. I had many emotions as well with the SC Stembert team!

What is the best thing about this game and why would you recommend it to someone? 
I can share my passion with my son Noé (he’s world ranking U12 number 2), and it’s always better to see the kids around the pitch than in front of the tv screen playing video games. I Like big competitions, trips all over Europe, to see different countries. Table soccer offers me all those things.

Your most memorable moments from this game happy or even sad? 
The goal for 3-0 against Massimo Bolognino during Italy–Belgium, it was 2-0 for me and I scored 3-0 with only 6 minutes to play, I knew that the match was won!

Who was your strongest opponent and who is your favorite player and why?
Since I restarted I had 2 guys who gave me a real lesson, Derk Conti and Carlos Flores. When those guys are playing right, it’s impossible to stop them! You can only say "well done!"

Is it a sport or a game ? what is your opinion about this question that many people ask?
I can ear this question since the 80th time. My opinion: it’s real sport!

What improvements would you like to see in the future and what would you suggest to improve things? 
I have noticed since few months that it’s almost impossible to put the ball in the shooting area without the defender makes a free kick, so he can make a defense flick and put a figure in front of the ball, a rule could change this fact.

What would you recommend to someone who starts the game now? What are the secrets for top performance
Playing every day, alone for technical practices and with friends, thinking that success needs time and a lot of work.

Daniel's passport

Name: Daniel Scheen
Age: 44
Nation: Belgium
Club: SC Stembert
Type of figures/bases used: Tchaaa4 sniper LW (of course!)
Job: manager of a guest house near Spa / Francorchamps race track
Hobbies: travel, movies.

(Interview by Panos Panagiotides)

No comments:

Post a Comment