Some conclusions: looks like in general people are happy of how things are run but we could probably improve a few things, for instance the way national associations should support WASPA (clearly it's not enough now), more focus should be put on junior events. People think WASPA is not in competition with FISTF, which is very important for us (as some people still don't understand both circuits can help each other).
A) Who answered the survey?- Age:
1-19: 1 answer
20-39: 14 answers
40-49: 42 answers
50-90: 25 answers
- Are you currently ranked in the WASPA tables?
No but I have been ranked in the past: 3
I don't know: 3
B) Questions with multiple choices:- What kind of Subbuteo games do you prefer?
Games at home with friends and family: 30
Games in my club: 57
WASPA events: 56
National events: 38
FISTF events: 35
- Do you think the WASPA circuit is working well?
No opinion: 7
- Do you think running 12 WASPA regional events per club a year is a good number?
No, it should be more: 6
12 is too much, it should be less: 14
No opinion: 6
- Do you think the WASPA circuit is helpful to promote the game of Subbuteo?
No opinion: 2
- Do you think national associations should always support the WASPA circuit?
No opinion: 5
- Do you think national associations currently give enough support to the WASPA circuit?
No opinion: 24
- Do you think WASPA should give more support to tournaments played with the old rules?
Rankings points should be awarded in the same way as regional tournaments: 16
No opinion: 32
- Do you think WASPA should give more support to junior events?
No opinion: 13
- Should we have a separate WASPA ranking for juniors?
No opinion: 10
- If WASPA had only one junior category, what would it be?
Should always be the same as FISTF categories: 22
No opinion: 4
- Do you think the WASPA circuit is too flexible?
It's all fine right now: 70
There should be more stricter rules: 5
No opinion: 7
- Do you know what WASPA test-matches are?
No but I would like to see more about it!: 19
- Do you watch the WASPA rankings every month?
- Do you think the WASPA circuit makes unfair competition to FISTF events?
No opinion: 12
No, I think it is an additional benefit (consolidation tournaments, classic = old rules tournaments) beside a FISTF event: 1
- What about the WASPA blog?
That's OK, I like it as it is: 47
WASPA should have a more professional website: 19
No opinion: 16
- What do you think about the WASPA rankings?
I love them, they are fine: 34
I don't like rankings anyway: 5
Rankings are fine but they don't work perfectly: 16
Rankings are just good to know statistics, how many players are taking part,...: 25
WASPA events should be included int he FISTF rankings: 6
- What is (are) the strength(s) of WASPA?
Every club can run many events per season: 54
It's much cheaper than playing in FISTF level: 31
The spirit of games is much more relax: 59
I like the fact it's not compulsory to put referees for every game: 34
There are players from many different countries involved: 32
There are not too many rules to organize events: 42
None of these proposals: 2
- What do you think about the WASPA top clubs?
I love the idea, the current system is fine: 26
All clubs (or more clubs) should be involved: 24
There should be a ranking system based on several categories (1 for clubs who run 10 events per season or have at least 10 players, 1 for clubs who run 6 events per season or have at least 6 players, clubs who run 3 events per season or have at least 3 players): 7
We don't need a ranking of clubs: 23
No opinion: 8
- What do you think about the WASPA rankings of nations?
I love the idea, the current system is fine: 28
We shoud create divisions in the beginning of the season (division 1 for nations with 1000+ points, division 2 for 500+ points, divisions 3 for 100+ points, division 4 for nations with less than 100 points) and give a title at the end of the season. It would motivate nations to host more events.: 16
The ranking should be improved (not just the top 5 players from every nation): 6
Rankings are never perfect anyway: 21
No opinion: 18
C) Open questions- What are your ideas to improve the WASPA circuit? (30 responses)
* Allow waspa inter-club matches
* A PDF that makes clear what tournaments were played during the last recent month - sent out with the rankings
* Better website with links and good access
* More promotion from the top players and a WASPA World Cup style tournament
* I would like to see more recognition for clubs playing regularly but not necessarily running tournaments. Neither WSFC or south staffs make the rankings but are playing weekly games.
* None. It is ok as a casual circuit.
* The Promotion (public work) of each Club in there DOMESTIC country should be done much better - more public work to promote STF. If the Clubs and Nations do not promote, then WASPA and FISTF, nor the Club nor the national federation has an Advantage. WASPA and FISTF can only be as strong, as the base is built. What does it help our Sport if the local Clubs or federation are in the private 4 walls and nothing goes to the outside. What sense has Facebook? It the other People do not join the inner cirlce of Players. FISTF and WASPA have the same Problem and think that FB will help. It does not. FISTF promote the FISTF world Cup via Facebook...and what does it bring, if it does NOT REACH the REAL MEDIA world? If babyfoot (Foosball, Kicker, Wuzzler) go to the TV and FISTF does not, then how can we get on? Laurant Garnier was the best with his concepts and Ideas, but onyl a tiny Group of persons understood him. WASAPA has the same main MEDIA Problem. We need real Media Partners to go outside the own 4 walls. STF in General has the huge Problem that the REAL Marketing is NOT orking at all. It has NO SENSE AT ALL THAT FSITF promote Subbuteo, which is a TOY (game) and not a SPORT(game). If the WORLD OF "STF" does not Change in the way of "THINKING", then we will never reach a certain size to be a Sport. Why does everyone us "Subbuteo"? Has ist a sense to promote a toy, and we dont get nothing from Subbuteo! Subbuteo does not sell in Austria. Why should we promote it? The statutes if FISTF say "SPORT TABLE FOOTBALL" and not "Subbuteo" and not "Sport Table Soccer". If we write text then we Need conform TEXT to the outside - like I do it in austria. We call it "Corporate Identity" so that the Clubs and the national Federation are conform in texting to the outside (Madia). Nobody understands that world wide. The influential Situation of new Subbuteo markets Show that clear...!
* Higher numbers for an official event than 3
* While Vincent is in charge, WASPA will develop and grow for sure, just because he loves the game and the WASPA ethos. Players trust him and are also buying into that ethos. As long as WASPA remains "not like FISTF" it will grow.
* Currently no ideas for improvements - all is running well at WASPA
* Promoting subbuteo to teenagers
* Include it in FISTF as Challenger - Future - etc. It is not good to have 2 different association in Subbuteo
* The idea of 'waspa' should become a 'outside Europe' federation of fistf. As it is, it damages promotion of, or discourages, national circuits in certain countries
* To add more contact addresses all over the world would be great
* As well as the test match series, it would be good to have a more local challenge system where someone ranked, say, 600 challenges someone ranked 100. If they win they would pick up points depending on the 'gap'. If they lose , the challenged play would pick up bonus points. Only 1 challenge a month allowed. That kind of thing.
* More different styles of play. Old subbuteo and modern bases tournaments should have the same ranking points.
* None really, it is all down to individual clubs to keep the game alive and I don't think there is any way it can overtake a FISTF mentality by the current players.
* I don't know at the moment
* Get rid of seedings in tournaments have the group's as luck of the draw. Allow old rules to be used with new bases.
* So far it's been good...
* More information on regional events, specific locations and contact details. Perhaps publishing contact information by location (not country - that's too broad. Be more specific eg city of London). This will facilitate visiting players to arrange friendlies
More participation all over the World
* It is obvious rankings are intangible. Nations have different technique and tactic levels. A weighting system will never provide accuracy even when clubs regions and countries play WASPA tournaments. Simply provide individual clubs with their own ranking, split into gender and age categories. If people are focused on their placing they are playing WASPA for the wrong reasonand should play FISTF.
WASPA should be separated from FISTF to the end of all Subbuteo times. And over alle we don't have to be afraid of thinking about an Amateur World Cup (yes, we should use this name).
* integrate it into FISTF
* To include a Waspa event before or during or immediatly after every Fistf events
* It is fine at present
* Find a way to make it easier to help new players find local players / clubs.
What are the positive sides of the WASPA circuit? (32 responses)
* more relax (2)
* As an organiser, I can do whatever format I want
* Complements FISTF, inclusive, easy to put a tournament on, even at the last minut
* Free and easy
* The informality of it and the positive boost the rankings give to players
* Better communications and less red tape when running events. More relaxed approach overall.
* Introduces a little competition element in casual games.
* The easy uncomplicated handling of tiny Events.
* Well organised by the president
* It is not FISTF! Vincent has been in both camps and has seen many things. He has taken all of the good things to created and develop WASPA, while leaving the bad things with FISTF.
* I like the "amateur" side of this - keeps the events "friendly" & social
* Free participation
* You can enjoy playing events that should count as World ranking without travelling and be sure you can play more than 3 games...
* The more games, the better
* Events easy to arrange
* Not so much regulations as FISTF
* More relaxed and local tournaments with a fun ranking that is nice to have. Everyone gets a chance to play the game and experience some kind of competition.
* Great, friendly competition.
* It's probably friendlier!
* Its easy to get involved and have a competition, encouraging more people to play.
* The positive side are games more relaxing and friendly....with lots of laugth....
* Friendlier atmosphere,
* it allows easy organization of recognised tournaments for nations, and the small minimum number of players allow small communities to get recognised as well.
* It is great as it promote greater interest for players to come together. Eg attendance at our WASPA events always attracts better turn out then the regular club events
* Bonding with friends..
* Rankings, easy to organise multiple events
* Flexibility, camaraderie, development of new and junior players through discipline, concentration, social interaction, accepting the rules and passion. * These are all critical social skills.
* The summary of all positive statements boxes i filled in above.
* That mostly every body can play, the easy possibility to organize a Waspa, for fun, possibility to play, play and play. As for example for Fistf events you do not play so much. People travel quiet a lot sometimes just to play just 3 matches.
It is easy to organise a tournament, with little administration and no fees.
* Many positives as mentioned above. Also, it's a great way for new players to discover how large the game is, and where they can find other players in the community.
What are the negative sides of the WASPA circuit? (27 responses)
* Nothing, it's a fantastic concept. As long as people get to flick and have fun, that's all that matters
* If there is a bad attitude to FISTF (or vice a versa), this splits the Subbuteo world which is very unfortunate. FISTF and WASPA despite their differences need to be very responsible, back each other and stick together. The same players play in both. There are differences of course, which i understand but these should not become prominent, else we are not promoting the game of Subbuteo we are making it divisive. This needs maturity from both core of FISTF and core of WASPA. Thank you for the WASPA circuit.
* No negatives - you doing a great job! I would like to see more ideas for getting kids involved and some more recognition for clubs for running weekly leagues.
* AAAAaaaaaaaaaaa - what can be negative? If FISTF does not work properly with a clear policy, then WASPA can NOT do wrong in this stage of the time. FISTF and WASPA need more and better coordination. The STF world is in a chaos. IF THERE IS NO STRONG LEADER of a FISTF President, which understands what needs to be done, then the Evolution of STF will not get forward in a real needed way. FISTF needs to work properly, then WASPA will have a main part in the development. WASPA needs to motivate the people to develop and then organise FISTF Events. FISTF needs to understand that on every level. When that BASE is given, then the STF world will run much better.
* The only thing I don't like is that FISTF plate competitions gain WASPA status. I do know of players who target the WASPA points rather than progress in the FISTF event. Sort of defeats the ethos a bit.
* Currently no negatives - all is running well at WASPA
* The existence of two different associations
* Separate "federation"
* As above
* People become deluded about the rankings and forget these just reflect on how active the player is and their winning form only matters within their own club and can't be compared with their performance against other players around the world. Some people develop a big ego from looking at the waspa rankings
* Smaller tournaments will not be organised as FISTF-Satellite, but as WASPA, because some Players would be not allowed to play in Satellite (Top 100), Organisation is more complicated.... But all this is to be solved by FISTF, WASPA may give Support (even if it looses some tournaments - but it may win the consolidation tournament...) So, in the end this was more than 2 minutes....
* It is clear that some of the clubs do not play correct rules. This has been evidenced by Derry City. Whilst they all have great fun, they haven't got a clue about the rules. This must go on all over the world, which is why you can never take the WASPA ranking too seriously. Which is a shame.
* Probably lacks a website for promotion.
* Losing the final of waspa tourmanents....
* Fisft don't like it, needs to be better cooperation from fistf
* open to possible exploitation.. example, slightly stronger player organises always tournaments that he would most probably win and climb up the rankings - does not truly mean a high rank player is really of quality...
* Nothing negative. But I would love to have earlier access to contacts across the world
* A limit of 12 WASPA tournaments par annum.
* People expecting Vincent to carry the load. Congratulations are all very well deserved but actions speak louder than words...and you can print that Vincent!!
* That we are afraid of getting in a kind of competition to FISTF. We don't have to fear FISTF. They are on the wrong way.
* it seems not supported enough from Fistf, not so much advertising
* Not valued enough by FISTF players.
* The only negative is that it's a huge amount of work for one person to handle. Can't see any other negatives. Keep up the brilliant work, Vincent.